Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Reading in January...

This was a heavy school month but I still found some time for reading.  Much of it late at night, which doesn't help my goal for getting more sleep...so be it. 



Christmas Pudding
by Nancy Mitford
I reserved these Nancy Mitford books for some Christmas reading but then had to wait a while for them to be available at the library.  This was an enjoyable, holiday read.



Pigeon Pie
by Nancy Mitford
I liked this book but not as well as Christmas Pudding.  Amazon sells them together in one volume, you can find it here



Abdication
by Juliet Nicolson
I enjoyed this book but it wasn't as much about Edward and Wallis as I had hoped. 



Faithful Place
by Tana French
This is the 3rd book in the Dublin Murder Squad.  I figured this one out early on but the story was still intriguing. Not my favorite in the series but I still really liked it. 



a long way gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
by Ishmeal Beah
This book is a fairly quick read, a heartbreaking story but yet so full of hope. It is exciting to see how Ishmael Beah has devoted his life to helping others. 



Anne of Green Gables
by L. M. Montgomery
I don't know how many times I have read this book and yet it is always a joy to read.  This time I read the book in an online book club, reading two chapters a week.  I enjoyed the slow pace, having time to mull over what I had read. I also enjoyed the observations and comments of the other ladies reading the book. 


City of Women
by David R. Gillham
I liked this book but didn't love it.  The book takes place in Berlin during WWII, so the tone of the book is going to be rather gloomy and depressing.  Parts of the book were intriguing but parts of the book didn't work for me.  I think the author is hoping you ask yourself 'what would I have done as a German woman during WWII?'  Would I had supported the Nazi agenda?  Helped hide Jewish people?  That part of the book I enjoyed.  But, I didn't find the sex scenes/theme believable.  They were starving, they were exhausted, just trying to survive another day,  it seems unlikely she would have had the time/energy/desire to have love affairs. 

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...