Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer Squash Soup

Almost every summer we have squash coming out of our ears and I'm always looking for ways to use it.  We love squash but after awhile....well, it starts to lose its charm.   

This year my garden has been less than stellar so I haven't had the over abundance of vegetables that I normally have.  I did, however, have enough squash ripe at one time to make soup. This soup is best slightly warm or room temperature so it is easily enjoyed on a hot summer day. 


Summer Squash Soup

5 yellow squash
1-1/2 TBSP butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
2 tsp Better Than Bouillon chicken base (or two cubes bouillon)
3/4 cup heavy cream
garlic croutons
Parmesan cheese

Steam squash till tender.  Put in blender and puree.
Saute onion and garlic in butter till onion is translucent and slightly caramelized.  
Add the squash to the onion mixture. 
Add chicken base and bring to a boil. After the mixture has reached a boil pour into blender and puree.  
Pour pureed mixture into a pan and add cream, heating over medium low heat till warm through.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 
Depending on the water content in the squash you use you may need to adjust the liquid in the soup. At this point you can thin the soup with more cream or thicken with flour.    
Serve the soup with Parmesan cheese and croutons sprinkled over the top. 

'til next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    I've been a bit under the weather today and had some time to rest... And I just read your entire blog! I hope that isn't too stalker-ish, but I really enjoyed your writing and getting this window into your life as a mom (among other roles). I just have to say: You are SO creative and productive!!! Your kids are very lucky to have you and Peter for parents; your love for them just shows so clearly. Also- your blog makes me really miss the history, seasons, and general feeling of being back east!! The Fall and Winter holidays especially just aren't the same here in San Diego.
    I hope I get the chance to see you guys again soon! I didn't get enough time with you, Peter, and the kids in Georgia...
    Love,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is not stalking because I have done that myself with many blogs!
      Thank you for your kind words, we wouldn't trade our life right now for anything but there are many days when you just hope and pray that you are being good parents!
      I do love the seasons and as perfect as the weather is in San Diego I know I would miss the East. Right now we are tired of hot weather but there is that hint of fall around the corner!
      I hope you all are doing well, love to you and Brian!

      Delete

I love to read your comments...