Monday, October 18, 2010

Reading...Eliot Pattison

"The Skull Mantra"

I got this book out of the library because it had been recommended to me by a dear friend. I did not read the dust jacket because many times the cover gives away information that you don't want to know at the start of the book. When my friend told me about this book we had discussed several different books and authors, some how I got in my mind that in this book the main character was a robot with artificial intelligence. I read about the first 30 pages of the book trying to figure out how they were going to incorporate A.I. into a Tibetan prison camp, it finally dawned on me that I couldn't possibly be reading the book that I thought I was reading. So I started over and the book made a lot more sense without trying to add a robot to the mix!
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from  this author. The book is dealing with a prison camp that holds mainly Tibetan prisoners, but also a few Chinese. It discusses a lot of the practices of the monks, the rituals and beliefs, which I find very fascinating.
It actually took me longer than usual to read this book, in fact it is overdue at the library, but I didn't want to return it until I had finished it!

'til next time...

1 comment:

  1. I like The Skull Mantra too. It took longer to get through for me also, probably because of the unfamiliar setting and character names. It's one of my more memorable reads of 2010.

    The AI mystery may well be Donna Andrew's Turing Hopper series. It's a lot of fun-- you may like it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments...