Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sweet words of a toddler...

I heard "mama" for the first time!  I'm sure other mothers will appreciate what a special milestone this is!  I never dreamed I would wait 2 years, 11 days to hear it but what a wonderful feeling!  I was talking to my baby and telling her "say mama, mama, mama" when Wythe walked over, patted me on the knee and said "mama". I looked at him and said "who is this??" pointing to myself, and he said it again!  Oooo...proud mommy moment!

As some of you know my son has taken his time with his speech. He started saying a few words back in the winter and at 18 months had about 15 words he would say consistently, but "mama" was never one of them. Then one day we quit talking completely and quit his sign language, this concerned me and really concerned his doctor. His doctor wanted to send him to UVA for some testing in April because of the loss of speech and a couple other things. But I wasn't comfortable with that idea and my mommy instinct said to wait. Over the last month his vocabulary has started picking up again. At this two year appointment the doctor said that although he is way behind in speech he is making progress and that is what they look for, moving forward instead of backwards. In the last two weeks I have noticed huge strides in his speech. He is repeating words we say. He walks around the house and names the items he knows, I love the look of pride on his face when he gets it right!  He walks around pointing to things asking what they are. This is such a fun time for us!

I know many people have told me that I will get tired of the questions and jabbering of a toddler and wish for quiet. That may be true, but after going so long with so little words and dealing with the frustration of a toddler that had no way to communicate...I say bring on the words!

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...