Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rumblings in DC...

I had to post again because I couldn't let such a major event go by without commenting on it.

For those of you that don't know, this morning at 5:04 a.m. an earthquake hit our area with a magnitude of 3.6 !!  News stations reported that the quake was felt in the D.C.-area, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The quake was the largest recorded within 50 kilometers (31 miles) of Washington since 1974.

I didn't feel it, though some friends in Warrenton did. The secret to sleeping through an earthquake is rarely getting uninterrupted sleep, thanks to my darling children when I do get to sleep nothing will wake me! Actually, anything regarding the children wakes me, I can hear my daughter's pacifier fall out of the crib - that will wake me but not an earthquake. See, I have my priorities in order!!

This reminds me of something that happened years ago when I was living at my parents house in Richmond. We lived near a rock quarry and throughout the day the house would shake from the dynamite. One night there was a small earthquake in Richmond. My mom and I both woke up and thought "now why on earth are they dynamiting in the middle of the night?!?!" Then we went back to sleep only to wake up in the morning to the news of the earthquake.

I realize that our friends in California probably laughed when they heard they the East Coast was buzzing with the news of a no damage, 3.6 earthquake....but that's ok. We won't laugh at them when they panic over a Category 1 hurricane...or at least we will keep it to a quiet chuckle.

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...